This recipe came from Harvard Biolabs, although they now use a dextrose medium. It has not been used at Bloomington. The cooking instructions assume that your are cooking in a steam-jacketed kettle with an automatic mixer.
|p-Hydroxy-benzoic acid methyl ester||23.8||grams|
|*adjust agar concentration according to the gel strength of your agar|
- Boil water.
- Add agar, stirring constantly.
- After agar has dissolved, add yeast, cornmeal and sugar and continue stirring until mix boils again.
- Shut off steam.
- Allow the mix to cook with the mixer running for about 15 minutes.
- Dissolve p-Hydroxy-benzoic acid methyl ester in ethanol and add to medium; mix thoroughly.
- Allow vials to cool for several hours (covered snugly with cheesecloth) before plugging. Allow bottles to sit overnight (covered) before plugging.